Why Study for the Science Section of TEAS 5
As we have already explained, Science is integral in nursing education and application as it is vital for most medical and nursing procedures. Science integrates well with other TEAS 5 science practice test categories like Mathematics, Reading and English & Language Usage. The TEAS 7 Test is designed to help in measuring academic knowledge. TEAS are never after your great scientific degree. The entire exam is after knowing how much you are prepared to take the entry-level coursing in nursing schools or health programs.
What is New in the TEAS 5 Science Section?
If you are familiar with the last incarnation of TEAS, you will be glad to learn a few new changes on TEAS 5. The subcategories in the science section are:
Human Anatomy & Physiology
There are 18 questions here covering how the human body looks and functions. Below are the topics you will need to know about;Describing the physiology and anatomy of the following systems:
- Nervous system
- Respiratory system
- Immune system
- Muscular system
- Digestive system
- Urinary system
- Cardiovascular system
- Reproductive systems
There are nine questions dealing with different aspects of microorganisms in this category. It also covers the protein and cell structure.
Here are the topics you will need to know about:
- Describe the cell function, structure and organization
- Describe the relationship between proteins design and genetic materials
- Apply the concepts underlying Mendel's Inheritance law
- Describe microorganism's role in diseases
- Describe the process and structure of essential macromolecules
The chemistry sub-section consists of 8 questions about chemical reactions, atomic structure, bases and acids.
Here are the topics you need to know:
- Describe chemical reactions
- Recognize the basic atomic structure
- Describe concepts of bases and acids
- Know physical properties and matter changes
- Demonstrate how conditions affect chemical reactions
- Understand solutions properties
3. Scientific Reasoning
The scientific reasoning sub-section consists of 9 questions. The questions deal with Science from a fundamental level. It is an area where knowing how science functions are more important than knowing scientific facts.
The concepts in this section include:
- Apply evidence and logic to scientific explanation
- Use essential scientific tools and measurements
- Apply the scientific method to interpret scientific investigation
- Predict relationships among objects, events and processes
Keys to Scoring High in TEAS 5 Science Test
TEAS 5 science section is challenging since Science is complex by nature. You will want to do the following to ensure you score high in the TEAS 5 Science section.
- Ensure you keep track of the information from multiple scientific disciplines.
- Keeping track of the information from subcategories of multiple scientific disciplines
These can be tedious, so you must have a particular approach. Here is the procedure:
- Do more than study a single subject. Split them into small parts and study one at a time. For example, you can split the science section into subcategories, like studying the Human, Anatomy and Physiology category. Space them according to fit into your study schedule.
- Since you are aware the Science TEAS exam is one of the most challenging sections, you will have to dig deep into your studies.
- There are questions which will have specific subjects. Doing Science TEAS practice tests will be of great help.
- Ensure you read all the questions thoroughly and understand them before you start answering.
- Make good use of the Naxlex TEAS science practice test for first-hand experience.
The TEAS 7 science practice test will help you with the following:
- Awareness of your weaknesses and strengths
- Understanding the formatting
- Timing and test efficiency
The TEAS science practice test will allow you to identify and know the type of questions you had difficulty answering.
When practising or as you are taking the actual exam , you will want to simplify the questions before you start answering them. Doing this on all the questions will be of great benefit to you. You can consider making relevant notices in the margins concerning the questions, making them simpler, and breaking them into smaller sections and more workable pieces. Ensure you create a personal study plan you can follow with ease.