HESI (Health System Incorporated Exam) and TEAS are standardized exams used to assess the academic readiness of individuals seeking entry into nursing programs. However, there are key differences between the two exams. The HESI exam evaluates nursing students’ knowledge and skills throughout their nursing program. In contrast, the TEAS exam assesses potential students’ academic preparedness for nursing school. Let’s looks at HESI vs TEAS.
TEAS tests are essential because you cannot be admitted to nursing schools without them. To pass the TEAS test, you must prepare using TEAS practice tests from Naxlex. Their tests are best when it comes to questions and their explanation. Naxlex guides you to pass your TEAS exams first time, with a refund guarantee if you don’t pass with 85% score.
Most nurses in the US use their TEAS hallmark tests, and they are currently enjoying their nursing profession; these TEAS practice tests are prepared by well-trained tutors who have gone through the TEAS test. This means you will have a real grasp of what to expect in the real exam.
What to expect in the HESI vs. TEAS Exams?
Let’s check out what these two exams are about.
The HESI Exam
The HESI exam evaluates nursing students’ knowledge and skills throughout their nursing program. The exam covers a wide range of topics related to nursing course
Here are issues covered in the HESI exam
- Anatomy and Physiology: This part covers the topic related structure and function of the human body. You will face questions on major organ systems of the human body.
- Pharmacology: In this section, students are examined the study of drugs, their effects on the body, and their uses in medical treatment.
- Nursing Theory: This section covers the theoretical foundations of nursing courses. It covers questions about patient care, health promotion, and disease prevention.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing: This section covers nursing care-related and medical-surgical conditions. You will find questions on diabetes, cardiovascular disease and respiratory disorders.
- Pediatrics: This section covers nursing care related to children, including growth and development, common pediatric illnesses and the care of hospitalized children.
- Maternity and Obstetrics: in this section, students are examined in areas covering nursing care related to pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum care. You will find questions about newborn care.
- Mental Health: This section covers questions in nursing care related to mental health conditions. This includes questions on assessment and intervention strategies for patients with anxiety, depression, and other psychiatric disorders.
The HESI exam may also include nutrition, gerontology and community health nursing sections.
Subjects Covered in the TEAS Exam
The TEAS exam covers four main subject areas in general academics:
- Reading: This section tests the individual’s ability to comprehend written passages, draw conclusions and make inferences. It covers topics such as paragraph comprehension, making inferences, and finding the main idea.
- Mathematics: This section tests the individual’s mathematical knowledge and problem-solving skills. It covers question topics such as whole numbers, fractions, decimals, ratios, percentages and algebraic equations.
- Science: This section tests the individual’s understanding of scientific concepts and principles. It covers question topics from anatomy and physiology, biology, chemistry and physics.
- English and Language Usage: This section tests the individual’s grammar and English knowledge. It covers questions about punctuation, sentence structure, verb tense and spelling topics.
The content and format of the TEAS exam may vary depending on the nursing program and the specific version of the exam administered. However, the TEAS exam typically consists of multiple-choice questions and is timed.
The passing score for the TEAS exam may also vary depending on the program. Official study materials and TEAS 7 practice tests free are available for the TEAS exam, as well as third-party study guides and resources.
Find Out: Are TEAS Questions the same everytime?
Similarities Between HESI and TEAS Exam
In looking at HESI vs TEAS, you’ll find both are standardized exams commonly used to assess academic readiness for nursing programs. As a result, there are several similarities between the two exams, including:
- Content: Both exams cover similar subjects, such as math, reading comprehension, grammar and science.
- Multiple-choice questions: Both exams consist primarily of multiple-choice questions, although there may be some differences in the types of questions asked.
- Time limits: Both exams have time limits to complete the exam, and test-takers must manage their time effectively to answer all questions.
- Scoring: Both exams are scored based on the number of correct answers, and the passing score may vary depending on the program.
- Study materials: Both exams have official study materials available for purchase, as well as practice exams and study guides available from third-party vendors.
HESI vs TEAS, Which is Better?
The TEAS and HESI exams are essential in the nursing school admissions process, and which exam is more crucial may depend on the specific nursing program and its requirements.
In some nursing colleges, the TEAS exam evaluates a student’s academic readiness for nursing school. While in other programs, the HESI exam may be used instead of or in addition to the TEAS exam.
Prospective nursing students must research the requirements of the nursing programs they’re interested in. They should also inquire which exam or exams are required for admission when considering HESI vs TEAS. Students should also carefully prepare for the exam or exams they must take, as achieving a high score can improve their chances of acceptance into their desired nursing program.
The Best Way to Pass TEAS Exams
Passing is not an option involving an essential exam such as TEAS since it dictates your career path as a nurse. Here are tips that will help you pass your exam.
- Familiarize yourself with the exam: Learn about the TEAS exam’s format, content, and time limits. The best way is through doing TEAS 7 practice test free in all four subjects
- Create a study plan: Develop a plan that includes regular study sessions leading up to the exam. Break down the content into manageable chunks and allocate enough time to cover each subject area thoroughly.
- Use study materials: Use official study materials, such as study guides and practice exams, to help you prepare. You can also find third-party study materials, such as flashcards and review books, that cover the content of the TEAS exam.
- Practice time management: The TEAS exam is timed, so practice answering questions within the allotted time. Work quickly but accurately and don’t spend too much time on a single question.
- Brush up on basic skills: The TEAS exam covers basic skills in math, reading comprehension, grammar, and science. The best way to brush up on these subjects is to take a refresher course like a TEAS 7 practice test or use online resources.
HESI and TEAS exams are crucial since they assess academic readiness for nursing programs. However, if you want to pass the TEAS exam, enroll in Naxlex TEAS 7 practice tests, get knowledge, and practice how the actual will be.